Established under the Royal Command of His Majesty the King in 1980, the Bhutan Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BCCI) is a non-profit organization comprising of members from business community in the country, and is the apex body of the private sector in Bhutan. The General Body of the BCCI is the apex forum that comprises of business representatives from twenty Dzongkhags elected for the term of five years by the respective business members in each Dzongkhags and meets annually with the BCCI for Annual General Meeting (AGM). Under the General Body, the Executive Committee consist of President of BCCI and two Vice Presidents, and Presidents of ten sector associations, while additional five regional Executive Committee members are elected by the General Body members during the AGM once in five years. Below the Executive Committee, the Secretariat is managed by a salaried Secretary General overseeing the day-to-day functioning of the organization.
The BCCI visions to embark on developing private sector with organization’s slogan of “Towards Private Sector Development” and is guided by the mission statement as below:
- Act as the pro-active body, inspiring economic growth development in the country by promoting a dynamic and competitive business in Bhutan.
- Advocate for vibrate business sector that promote sustainable economic development through promotion of trade and investment by facilitating competitiveness and growth for increased investment, productivity and trade.
- Connect businesses and expand member opportunities by providing outstanding member services, with an aim to contribute to Bhutan Sustainable Economic development through expansion and institutional linkages and networks in the regional and global market.
- Safeguard the overall rights and benefits of members and provide leadership and quality services to foster an enabling business environment, generate gainful employment and create wealth for the country.
- Facilitate entrepreneurship through Human Resources Development of the Private Sector.
The BCCI Secretariat, Thimphu has three departments that deliver diverse services to the business community that are Business Support Department, General Affairs Department and Research and Policy Department. Further to accomplish above mentioned vision and mission of the BCCI, five regional offices were established in five selected regions (i.e, Phuentsholing, Mongar, Bumthang, Gelephu and Samdrup Jongkhar).
While the BCCI faces growing challenges, we will strive to create a conducive business environment for the growth and development of the private sector, and play a pro-active role in fostering economic development in Bhutan.